Friday, December 12, 2014

A dilemma that comes up too often

Tonight, instead of doing colour for the Bruins-Ice Wolves game like I was supposed to, I'll be on the couch trying to survive an attack from my old friend depression.

I didn't want to go to the game last night either. Today is worse.

Believe me, I feel lower than a snake for not being able to do my job. I missed a game late last year because of depression and now it's happening again.

I face this dilemma a lot. The vast majority of the time I grit my teeth and go. But sometimes, like today, the pain is just too much.

When I'm in the belly of the beast, the very last thing I want to do is be around other people, let alone hundreds of people. I want to stay home and lie in the fetal position until it passes. These attacks do terrible things to me and I've learned that the only thing I can do is ride them out by myself. When I have to cover a game (or go to work), instead of riding it out I have to put on a face and try to stop it from consuming me. People think it helps to be around other people but it doesn't. When episodes strike, I HAVE to be alone.

As a sports reporter, I don't often get that luxury though. Which leads to the internal struggle that happens every time I'm going through a bad day and have to be somewhere. And when I do miss a game I feel horrible. My job is the only thing in my life I feel like I have my shit together on. When my depression messes with that, I feel like even more of a failure than usual.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Josh. I know exactly what your going through. I can even relate to your hockey example. In 2011 ( I think it was) when Weyburn and Humboldt played in the league final, I could not get the strength to leave my house and face people. So I sat by myself in a dark, cold apartment listening to the games on the radio and always wishing I was there. It was so frustrating and I still struggle a lot to this day and lost a lot of friends in the process. Be strong . It sounds like you have some good people in your corner. And never say you are a failure - I love reading your articles and you are the most knowledgeable media person in the SJHL and always great to follow on twitter to get up to date news. You do a great job in Estevan and they are lucky to have you there. I don't fault you for wanting to be alone - I go through the same periods. I have been fortunate this year that I have had the strength to attend every hockey game in Weyburn and to socialize with people again. I know I will go through other episodes but it also shows that better days are ahead. Stay strong bud.

    Brad M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brad, appreciate that.

    OK, let's say failure in non-SJHL related areas then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your friend paid you another visit Josh.....I am glad you have found a way to cope. Having a supportive employer is blessing for you. I hope today is better than yesterday, and tomorrow is better again....Know that you are appreciated, and are not alone, for what that's worth....

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete