Saturday, June 22, 2013

A tough anniversary


Today marks two years since my uncle, George, was killed in a motorcycle accident.

George and I always had a special bond. He was a brother to me and he was the one person who always had my back no matter what. He was a hell of a guy: funny, caring, smart, athletic. He always seemed to do the right thing, and in a lot of ways he was my hero.


George had an uncanny ability to connect with people and make them feel valued. He meant the world to a lot of people in Canada and Australia, where he was a teacher for about 15 years. I was overwhelmed when I realized how many co-workers and students were mourning his loss. He left a void that will never be filled.

Although he was 46 when he died, George was a big kid at heart. He was so full of life. That made it even harder to accept he was gone.

It's almost as hard to believe that it's been two years since our lives were turned upside down.


No comments:

Post a Comment