Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday Tunes


So, I started this blog up in January, and after a few initial posts, I've neglected it ever since (other than the mental health post I wrote last week - nearly 300 hits, by the way... thanks for the support).

There are lots of things I could blog about, but I usually forget about them before I think to write a blog post.

So to keep myself disciplined and make sure I keep writing here, the blog is going to have a few weekly features. Just little staples on the same day each week.

The first one is Tuesday Tunes - basically two or three songs I've been listening to a lot that week. I'll try to stay away from mainstream artists so that the blog's four readers get to check out new music.

Be warned, there will be a lot of East Coast music in this thing, and a general focus on Canadian artists. I think the Atlantic Canadian music scene is as good as it's ever been, and there are tons of great artists that people elsewhere probably don't know about.

Joel Plaskett Emergency - Lightning Bolt
This is, in my opinion, the best track on Plaskett's newest album, Scrappy Happiness. Those who follow me on twitter are probably tired of me talking about Scrappy Happiness, but it truly is a terrific album — especially considering Plaskett gave himself one week per song to record, mix and release. Lightning Bolt is a classic six-minute rock out session. It starts out slowly, but the pace quickens as it goes along, with Plaskett's usual random lyrics. The theme is life is short and you should make the most of it, which makes me think of my uncle George. He was killed at age 46 in a motorcycle accident in 2011, but I can't think of anyone who crammed so much life into a short time.

Listen here: Lightning Bolt

Matt Mays and El Torpedo - Terminal Romance
There are so many great songs I could choose from the Nova Scotia rocker (and probably will in the future) but this is as good a selection as any. Another long one off his 2008 album of the same name (which, by the way, is also an excellent album).



Billy Talent - Surprise Surprise
I don't listen to a whole lot of punk rock, but Billy Talent is awesome, and so is this song, the message and the Angry Birds-ish video.


No comments:

Post a Comment